Harvey Samuel Firestone was an American businessman, founder of the Firestone Tire and Rubber Company. On a wall of the business in my neighborhood that bears his name is this quote from him: “I believe fundamental honesty is the keystone of business.”
That’s an excellent philosophy to live by. It’s an imperative philosophy to govern by if one’s goal is to govern well.
Harvey Firestone would not have condoned the tactics used by Planned Parenthood to secure a C-1 zoning permit at 2140 Babcock here in San Antonio.
On March 26, 2014, Delantero Investors purchased the 22,300 square foot building at 2140 Babcock and listed Alan Kramer as the registered agent. Alan Kramer is Chairman of the Planned Parenthood of South Texas Board of Directors.
Since the City of San Antonio’s (hereafter COSA) Unified Development Code (UDC) limits a C-1 zoning designation to buildings with a maximum of 5,000 square feet, 2140 Babcock clearly would not qualify for a C-1 zoning.
However, on August 8, 2014, COSA issued a C-1 parent building permit which listed the intended business use as “OFFICE” and the square footage as 5,836 which exceeds the 5,000 square feet by more than 16 percent.
Who is the employee who decided to exceed the maximum square footage for a C-1 zoning and who did not correctly apply the UDC?
Associated permits were later issued with use listed as ”OFFICE”. (State documents classify this type of usage as “medical offices”.) The cumulative associated permits extended the square footage to 22,300 square feet which is 446 percent of the 5,000 maximum set in the UDC. Delantero was deceptive in designating the building use as “OFFICE”.
Who is the employee who issued the associated permits that extended the square footage?
On October 11, 2014 (63 days after the permit was issued and 3 days after the normal 60 day period to give input had expired), the San Antonio Express-News reported the 22,300 square foot building at 2140 Babcock was being renovated as a new “ambulatory surgical center” (ASC). Abortions are done in an ASC.
An inquiring mind could ask: “When did the Express-News acquire this information and why wasn’t the report published earlier?”
On November 12, 2014, Delantero Investors made a change of registered agent from Alan Kramer to Jeffrey Hons, the President/CEO of Planned Parenthood of South Texas.
We believe this was the planned, desired outcome set in motion with the purchase of the 2140 Babcock property on March 26, 2014.
We muse over when the plan was conceived and which city employees (if any) knew the desired end game in advance.
We decry the lack of integrity and transparency on the part of Planned Parenthood using deceptive permit applications (and who knows what other dishonest tactics) to achieve their objective. We are confident that Harvey Firestone would not have condoned the approach taken.
- We request that the employee who approved the initial permit be identified as well as the one(s) who approved the associated permits and that he/she/they receive a formal reprimand placed in their permanent employment folder.
- We request that ALL city employees in the chain of command above the employee(s) identified in the preceding request likewise receive a formal reprimand placed in their respective permanent employment folders.
- We request that the City Attorney consult with the Attorney General to determine if Planned Parenthood used fraudulent means to obtain a C-1 zoning permit and, if so, we request the City Council revoke the permit granted to Planned Parenthood.
- We call upon all City Council members who received and accepted campaign contributions from Planned Parenthood or Planned Parenthood board members or from the top donors of Planned Parenthood to either return those contributions or to recuse themselves from matters pertaining in any way to Planned Parenthood.
The San Antonio City Council will vote December 17th on an amendment to change the city’s statutory C-1 zoning criteria. If it passes, the effect will be to retroactively condone, cover-up, and whitewash the errors made in the zoning process at 2140 Babcock.
A vote to approve the amendment is a vote to support Planned Parenthood. Contact your City Council members and the Mayor and tell them:
“Don’t support Planned Parenthood!”
“ Vote ‘No’ on the Ambulatory Service Center amendment.”
Gerald Ripley is the pastor of Abundant Life Church of San Antonio, Director of the Pastors PAC, and moderator of the Responsible Government Coalition.
- Citizens may speak at Citizens To Be Heard on December 9 and 16 if they register before 6:00 p.m. on that day and at the City Council meeting on December 17 if they register in person between 8:00 and 9:00 a.m.
- See www.saltandlightsa.com or www.sanantoniofamilyassociation.com for additional information.
+ + +